Sunday 18 March 2012

The French lunch hour (and a half)

If you were to ask me my favourite things about living in France, the French approach to lunchtime at work would definitely make it into my top three. Just after fresh croissants and just before brioche. (And behold the reason my skinny jeans don't fit anymore.)

I don't know how it works in other countries, but lunchtime in the UK (in offices at least) is mainly defined by a quick dash to the caff downstairs and a sandwich inhaled in front of the computer. Not exactly restful or conducive to team building.

In France, predictably, things are a little different. Taking a lunch hour here isn't seen as "taking the mickey" it's just what everyone does and what everyone thinks is sensible to do. They take their food seriously and they respect it by giving it the time and attention it deserves.



I've only ever worked in one organisation in Paris, but the lunchtime routine goes something like this:

11.30 - discussion of where to go to lunch commences
12.00 - discussion continues - having progressed to who will go where
12.30 - lunch delegation leaves office to gather supplies
1.00 - lunch delegation returns and everyone eats together at the table
1.30 - coffees bought from vending machines, chatting continues
2.00 - back to work with a full belly and a rested soul. Those with their own offices take a little nap (I suspect)

I have colleagues who regularly take two hours for lunch and no one bats an eyelid. I have one who sometimes goes to the cinema. The CINEMA! I'm fairly sure in London I would have received a disciplinary for going to catch a film in the middle of the working day.

The downside, unfortunately, to this lovely long lunch hour is that people tend to work later than really they need to. Or at least, they're supposed to...

PP

4 comments:

  1. It's true that lunches tend to be much longer in France than in the UK. In small companies, they usually don't last more than 1 hour though. But I agree with you, it's not always that great if you end up staying at work much later...

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think you are too caricatural (that's funny by the way). I think that generally people take one hour at lunchtime. Some go à 12h00, some a 12h30 or 1h00 pm. Generally we take more time on friday.
      I have a question. Have you a british breakfast the morning or did you convert to french breakfast ?
      If yes, when you are in GB do you switch to english breakfast

      Delete
  2. I just love how much more important lunch is here than in the UK. But maybe it's just the people I work with who sometimes disappear for a couple of hours! :)

    As for my breakfast I tend to just have toast, cereal or porridge in whatever country I am. Sometimes I grab a croissant on the way to work and sometimes at the weekend I make a cooked English breakfast. You can't beat a cooked breakfast sometimes!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I asked because I know some Brits who run to Mark & Spencer to get their tea and all the "british" stuff when they have to be in Paris. Myself when I go back to France after 2 weeks outside France, I need my camembert baguette :)

      Delete