Sunday 26 May 2013

A vegetarian in Paris

Cartoon from: www.happycow.net
Because I like to make life complicated for myself, I’m a non-fish eating vegetarian and I live in Paris. As you’d expect, getting a good meal here is not very straightforward.

For me, French cuisine is a bit, “meh”, because actually, there’s nothing I can eat. French pudding, yes, bring on as much of that as you can, but raw cow? I’ll pass on that, thanks anyway.

The dedicated vegetarian restaurants in Paris that I’ve visited I’ve really not enjoyed at all. I’ve found the food really old fashioned with a kind of tie die dreadlock vibe that feels oh so 1994. Nothing like the excellent Mildreds (www.mildreds.co.uk) in London, where even my dedicated carnivore of a brother will happily go.

However, after two and a half years of living in Paris, I’ve found a few places I can rely on for a delicious, veggie friendly meal. And seeing as they also serve meat, I don’t have to go alone!

Blend
44 rue d’Argout, 75002, http://blendhamburger.com/

For me, a burger is not a burger without a patty in the middle. To a meat eater, this may seem obvious, but several times in Paris I have ordered a veggie burger and received a bun filled with a couple of strips of aubergine, which I hate. Not so in Blend. They have two veggie options, but the mushroom burger is sauce running down the chin-ly scrummy. Being Paris, the restaurant is absolutely tiny and it’s impossible to reserve a table. Instead you have to queue until a place frees up. But trust me, the burgers are well worth the wait.

Le Paradis du Fruits

Restaurants all over Paris, http://www.leparadisdufruit.fr/

As great as it is to try new places, sometimes, familiarity is best. For this, Le Paradis du Fruits is perfect. A chain with 15 restaurants in Paris, they have a fresh, healthy theme and several veggie options from salads to savoury waffles to mixed mezze. The fresh juices and smoothies are delicious, and don’t get me started on their chocolate puddings. After a healthy salad it’s deserved, right?

Alice Pizza
Picture from alicepizza.com
57 rue des Dames, 75017, http://www.alicepizza.com/

Italian is always a good bet for a vegetarian, but this is no regular pizzeria. The ambiance is more takeout than cosy restaurant, but the pizzas are completely delicious and really unique. You won’t find a margarita on the menu, but you will find a new number to put on your speed dial.

Crêperie Framboise
7 rue de Ponthieu, http://www.creperieframboise.fr/

Conveniently located just off the Champs Elysées, this crêperie has a modern interior and the best crepe, or rather galette, that I’ve had so far in Paris. Enjoyed with the traditional cool glass of cider, it’s the perfect antidote to an afternoon elbowing through the crowds on the Champs Elysées.

Mickey’s Bagels
271 Boulevard Pereire, 75017, http://www.mickysbagel.com/ 

If I had a penny for every tomato and mozzarella sandwich I’ve had to eat as a veggie in Paris, I’d be able to finally afford a Louis Vuitton handbag. Mickey’s, however, saves me from the lunchime groundhog-wich. It is tiny bagel place with a few tables outside, handily near my office and a regular haunt for all of my colleagues. They have a couple of veggie options, but my favourite by far is the Washington Post with cream cheese, avocado, honey mustard, balsamic vinegar and salad. Definitely worth never quitting my job for.

If you have discovered any other vegetarian gems, please let me know. And bon appétit!

2 comments:

  1. Ahh I am so glad I've come across your blog. I am moving to Paris in September, and I too am also a vegetarian!!!! How have you found it so far? Are there any ways to meet people? I'm really scared I'll end up with no friends haha

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sometimes it can be difficult, being a veggie here, but most of the time it's ok. It's more recognised than it used to be I think, and there is usually at least a salad option in a restaurant. Which seeing as you always get free bread in France isn't too bad! There are really easy ways to meet friends, I actually blogged about meetup recently but might do another post soon. I promise you won't end up with no friends! :)

    ReplyDelete